Sunday, March 20, 2011

Navy Beans, Navy Beans!

Today I made navy beans with ham hocks and cornbread for dinner. We are getting married on Saturday, so I wanted to make something that would make a lot and will reheat well during the week. Friends and family start arriving on Wednesday morning, so we probably won't be doing too much cooking this week.

First, the beans:
I started with 2 pounds of dried navy beans. I rinsed them and soaked them overnight. I took 3 ham hocks (1 1/2 to 2 lb.), scored the outsides with a sharp knife, and placed them in the bottom of the crockpot. I added the drained and rinsed beans, and then added enough water to completely cover the beans by about 1/2 inch. I also added:
1 T. chicken granules
2 pouches Goya ham flavoring
1 T. paprika
1 T. black pepper
1/2 t. cayenne pepper
1 t. red pepper flakes

I cooked the beans for 6 hours on high, and then I used the back of a spoon to mash up some of the beans and continued to cook them on low for another 2 hours or so.

Then, the cornbread:
Start by coating the bottom of a cast iron skillet with vegetable oil, and place the oil in the oven and heat to 400 degrees. Then mix the batter, as follows:
1 3/4 c. cornmeal
3/4 c. flour
2 T. baking powder
1 t. salt
2 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 c. milk
1 can cream style corn
Whisk together the dry ingredients, and then add the liquids and mix until well blended. Pour into the hot skillet and cook for 35 - 40 minutes, until firm and the edges and top are golden.



Serve with hot pepper relish, if desired. Eat up! YUM!!

1 comment: