Monday, May 16, 2011

Chicken Salad

Last weekend, Darren and I went to Los Angeles and had a fun weekend catching up with friends. I got to attend the Mother-Daughter-Friend Luncheon at the Monrovian with my sisters in Beta Sigma Phi. I'm pretty sure everyone had a great time. I know I did. It was lovely as usual, with a raffle and fun door prizes for everyone in attendance.


The lunch was a lot of fun, and the food was really good this year - turkey salad sandwiches on croissants with a green salad. I don't usually like salad spreads, because they are made with mayonnaise. I know I claim to be Southern, but I'm not a fan of mayonnaise (Please don't tell anyone, or they might revoke my membership).

I actually like the salad and tried to determine the ingredients. I came up with a pretty close approximation, and it certainly pleased my taste buds, and not a drop of mayonnaise in sight! I used Greek yogurt to get the creamy texture, and I was quite pleased with the results.

I used chopped, cooked chicken (because I didn't have any turkey around), cashews, craisins, and water chestnuts.
Chop about 2 cups of chicken. I used part of a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store.
Add about 1/2 cup of chopped water chestnuts. I used about 7 whole water chestnuts.
Add 1/2 cup each of craisins and chopped cashews. Mix in 1/2 cup of Greek yogurt, and season to taste with salt, pepper, and paprika. Stir everything together and let the flavors mix for a bit. I served my sandwich on some French bread that was left over from another meal.
I thought it was a great first try, and I will definitely be making this again. Try it out for yourself.

1 comment: