Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Crockpot Pulled Pork

I have been eating variations of this recipe my entire life. And as anyone who reads this blog knows, I love barbecue/bar-b-q/BBQ/barbeque!

Now that we have a house, we are investigating grills and smokers. I saw a combo one that I really want! It is another version of this grill that also has a separate compartment off the charcoal side for indirect heat smoking. What a dream to be a pitmaster, even if in my own backyard!

I also want to create an oven variation of this recipe in my Dutch oven, but it is still too hot here to have the oven on all day, even at only 200 or 250 degrees, so I am once again looking to my crockpot for delicious pulled pork.

I have posted this recipe before, but last time, the focus was on the homemade sauce. I am not making sauce today, as it is a long, hot process, and I have chemistry tests that need to be graded, so today's focus is the meat.

Start by rounding up the cast of characters. My favorite liquid mix is apple juice, cider vinegar, and liquid smoke, but plain old tap water will do in a pinch.

Line the bottom of the crockpot with thinly sliced onions. I use the mandoline to get them nice and even. Rub the meat with a little brown sugar-salt-pepper mix. Place the meat in the crockpot fat side up, and then pour the liquid (about 1/2 - 3/4 c.) over the meat.

I usually cook the meat on high for an hour or so and then turn the crockpot down to low for the rest of the day. When the meat is ready to fall apart, remove it from the crockpot, reserving the onions. Let the meat cool until you can safely touch it. Remove any bones and as much fat as you can, and return the meat and reserved onions to the crockpot and pull it apart with a couple of forks. Pour a cup to a whole bottle of sauce over the pork, depending on how much meat you have and how wet you want it. You can also keep the liquid and cook it down to half and pour it back over the meat instead of using sauce, but I've only done it once, and I prefer sauce.



Serve on buns with pickles or slaw, if desired. ENJOY!


No comments:

Post a Comment