Thursday, September 6, 2012

Small-Batch Baking: Vanilla Layer Cake

For Labor Day, I made another small-batch dessert. I finally got to use my tiny layer cake pans! If you don't have any small cake pans, ramekins or a single 6" cake pan will do. If you only cook a single 6" layer, you will have lots of leftover icing, but that's not necessarily a bad thing!
There is no need to get out a mixer. I used one small to medium mixing bowl, two small custard dishes or ramekins (one for melting butter and one for separating the egg), a whisk, and a wooden spoon or silicone spatula are all the necessary tools. Plus measuring cups and spoons, of course. I washed the tools by hand while the cakes were baking and used the same ones for making the icing.

I made this vanilla cake with vanilla bean sour cream icing. It sort of reminds me of a Lord Baltimore cake, probably due to the fairly intense yellow color and relatively dense, moist texture. 

It was pretty fast to make, super cute, and so delicious! Here it is next to the box of baking soda for size comparison.
YUM! We cut it into four pieces and shared with a couple of friends, but if you really want a special treat, just share it with a loved one!

1 comment:

  1. I have been visiting your recipe blog from past 3 months. The way of recipe tips looks to be easy for all readers. I would personally recommend our blog visitors to subscribe to obtain useful posts like this periodically. Particularly post on "Small-Batch Baking: Vanilla Layer Cake" is awesome. Get in touch with us via our websites chennai sweets | veg restaurants kanchipuram

    ReplyDelete