Saturday, June 23, 2012

Thai Green Curry

We are big fans of Thai food. Green curry used to be my all time favorite until I had panang curry, and now it's a toss up. I went to Thailand several years ago. It was fantastic - the people, the food, the sights, everything!


I have never had food like that in Thailand since coming back, but I still love the flavors. We've been working at curry for a few months now, and have come up with a good red curry recipe, but our green curry was lacking. That is until our last pot luck. A friend brought some delicious green curry, and gave me the recipe. I have tweaked it a bit to our tastes, and we are happy with the results.

We eat our curries with either Jasmine rice or rice stick cooked according to the package directions. If using whole boneless breasts, partially frozen breasts are easy to slice very thin like they have at the restaurants. I am using tenders this week, because I bought the family pack and also used it for the chicken nuggets on Monday, so I just cut those into small chunks.

The mandoline is great for slicing the vegetables evenly. I like to cut everything up and then add the different ingredients as I go.




I start with the onions and cook those for a few minutes in a little oil before adding the curry paste. I don't like raw onions, so I make sure they get nice and done. As a bonus, cooking them a bit first brings out the sweetness of the onions.

We use Mae Ploy curry paste. We have tried Thai Kitchen, but it isn't as flavorful (see notes in the printable). We went to the Lee Lee Supermarket a couple of weeks ago and stocked up on curry paste, coconut milk, rice stick, chili oil, Thai iced tea mix, and some other treats. It is a bit of a drive, but we made an afternoon of it after doing some house hunting. We covered every aisle of the market and had boba drinks after at Boba Tea House.

Add the curry paste to the onions and cook until fragrant, just a few minutes.


Then add the chicken and half of the coconut milk. Cook until the chicken begins to turn white.

Add the sliced vegetables and the remaining coconut milk, and cook until almost tender.



Add bamboo shoots (if using), brown sugar, fish sauce, and chili-garlic sauce, if desired. Cook until bamboo shoots are tender. Taste and add salt, fish sauce, sugar, chili-garlic, as desired.

Serve over rice or rice stick.





Feel free to substitute any type of curry paste you prefer. Also omit the chili-garlic sauce if you like to keep things milder. If you try this out, let us know how it goes! We recommend serving with Thai iced tea for a special treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment